12.02.2005

i think sometimes, like me, she just makes things up as she goes along

Dicussing the Oscar buzz and possible politicking surrounding Steven Speilberg's Munich, the LA Weekly's Nikki Finke writes, "Hollywood has long been loath to portray any Arabs as villains, much less Muslim extremists, mostly because its movies make a lot of money in the Middle East. Needless to say, this has not gone unnoticed."

This leads me to believe that Nikki Finke has never seen a movie. At least, not since the end of the Cold War, which is when Hollywood started using Arabs instead of Soviets as the go-to evildoers. Movies that come to mind: Rules of Engagement, True Lies, The Siege, Executive Decision. Fuck, even The Mummy and Aladdin. I am sure I am missing a ton here, but my point is that it's absolutely absurd to say that movies will not depict Arab villians and that Nikki Finke will pretty much say anything if she thinks it will support her vitriolic rants. Which is why she's the first thing I read in that paper every week. Or sometimes Jonathan Gold.


If I remember correctly, this True Lies Arab villain was attached to a missile that was fired from a Harrier jet (piloted by my governor) into a building that was filled with his other Arab villain buddies. They all exploded.

No comments: