3.07.2006

"and the window dressings symbolize staying the course"


President Bush's Oval Office rug symbolizes an optimism not shared by the American people:
"You know an interesting story about the rug?" he asked. "Laura designed the rug."

"She did?" Vargas said.

"Yeah, she did. Presidents are able to pick their own rugs or design their own rugs."

Bush went on: "The interesting thing about this rug and why I like it in here is 'cause I told Laura one thing. I said, 'Look, I can't pick the colors and all that. But make it say 'optimistic person.' "
That's nice and all, but I'd like that rug to be even more symbolic of our president's virtues.
Some visitors have the impression that the rug story is revealing. In his new book, "Rebel-in-Chief," Fred Barnes recounts how Bush told him about the carpet: "His job, he told me, is to 'stay out of minutiae, keep the big picture in mind, but also make sure that I know enough about what's going on to get the best information possible.' To stress the point, during our interview in the Oval Office Bush called my attention to the rug."

Barnes notes that Bush delegated to the first lady. "Typical of his governing style, though, he gave a clear principle as guidance: he wanted the rug to express the view that an 'optimistic person comes here,' " Barnes reports. "The rug she designed is sunshine yellow."
Hmm, it sounds like Bush is a little obsessed with this rug. Weird. Whatever, though, I am sure the White House will deny anything strange is going on here.
"He loves his rug," said Nicolle Wallace, the White House communications director. "I've heard him describe it countless times."
Oh. Awesome.

No comments: