5.11.2006

really, i'm terrified...

To continue the trend of animal-related posts (and I'm considering Noah's "air jaws" post to be animal-related), I thought I might post this scary, scary turn of events...

Hunters in Canada recently killed what tests have confirmed to be a grizzly-polar bear hybrid. Now, I don't know how other people feel about this, but I'm a little terrified about the animal hybridization that's occuring... King Kong and a raccoon? Horses and donkeys? Grizzly bears and polar bears? I don't even want to imagine what other terrible things biology has planned for the future. Let's just hope that things don't get too messy (i.e. birds with fangs, snakes with legs, etc.).



Here, the aborigine and the hunters pose with their prize. And I present a contest. What should this new animal be called? (Is it weird to give the hybrid a name after it's been killed? ....eh, oh well). Some options have been presented:
Stirling said others in his office have been tossing around in jest possible names for the hybrid: a "pizzly" or a "grolar bear." One colleague said they ought to call it "nanulak," combining the Inuit names for polar bear -- "nanuk" -- and grizzly bear, which is "aklak."
I don't like any of these. Let's think of better ones. And keep praying that this (or worse hybrids) don't come down to the good ol', innocent US).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! interactive posts!!
i vote for "grizzpolizz white demon of the north nulak-attack"

noah said...

Growl Monster?