4.29.2006

"The LBC" refers to "Long Beach City" or "Long Beach, California." There is no "Long Beach County."

From the Washington Post:
ABC's prime-time drama "Commander in Chief," starring Geena Davis as the president, ignited an explosion of anger in Prince George's County yesterday as community leaders denounced an episode as offensive and racist for portraying the county as crime-ridden and in need of a federal takeover...

Another of the show's insults, critics said, was its references to the county by its initials, P.G. Some residents argue that Prince George's should not be referred to by its initials because no other county is. A state senator once corrected basketball star Earvin "Magic" Johnson during a news conference when he called the county P.G.

"The people in this county know that when other people say it, it's meant as a put-down," Taylor said.
It's true. There's literally not a single other county in America that's commonly referred to by its initials.


3 comments:

noah said...

I usually ignore these things, but a "PHD" in two weeks sounds too good to resist. I am going to look into this and report back.

Anonymous said...

the sf weekly now has a weekly column called SuckaFree City

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my yamaha wireless speaker site.
Have a great week!