4.16.2006

okay, okay

Sorry for the light posting lately, people. I am sure we all have reasons. Mine include sickness, laziness, guests, and broken computer. But with the guests and computer pretty much taken care of, a cocktail of Advil Cold + Sinus and Red Bull is just the thing to get me posting again.

I feel like we missed so much. I mean, there's a human-cow hybrid!
To create human lactoferrin-lactating cows, Pharming's scientists introduce human DNA coding for the protein's production into the nuclei of fertilized bovine eggs. The cells that successfully incorporate the foreign DNA or "transgene" are then selected, and each is fused with a second egg cell that has had its nucleus removed. The fused cells are then implanted in a surrogate cow's uterus. If all goes well, the cow becomes pregnant with a transgenic calf that, upon maturity two years later, will produce milk containing human lactoferrin. Despite that one component of its milk, the calf is all bovine—but technically remains an example of the dastardly human-animal hybrid.
Whoo! Science is fucking great. On this Easter Day I think it's important to take a moment to recognize all the unholy things scientists do around the world. I'd also like to put myself on record as volunteering to be part of any human-leopard or human-polar bear hybrid project.

[Editor's note: this portion of the post has been removed due to an overwhelming reader response. Many have called for Noah's release from the BlogNAC staff. After extensive deliberation, the editorial board has chosen not to take this course of action. During the course of our investigation into this incident we discovered that some of Noah's best friends are half-Asian. Additionally, Noah contends that they "love him," so it seemed like termination was unwarranted.]

I got a new computer. It's a Mac. I love it so far. It has a built in camera, though, that seems useless for anything but taking MySpace pictures and cybersex. I am sort of trying to create the archetype of the online social networking photo. How's this?


Courtesy of Colin (who is NOT DEAD, people) here's a lengthy but ultimately rewarding piece about eating steak in Argentina.

Finally, I learned last week (at a Seder, of all places) the Becky's mother HATED our investigation of bacon tempura. In her words, it was "weird, really really weird and gross." So now I offer this recipe for baking a cake using Cadbury's Creme Eggs instead of chicken eggs, brought to my attention by my friend David. This recipe doesn't involve frying, it doesn't involve pork, and maybe it's enough to get Becky's mom to stop telling her friends what a freak show I am. She puts on a great Seder, though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

COMMENTS FROM BECKY'S MOM:
Seems that Noah is operating on false assumptions concerning the Seder. #1 Weird and gross connote a negative assessment; #2 The pronouncement of bacon tempura being such would necessitate change; #3 Most importantly, there is the assumption that a Cadbury cake is an improvement. I don't know, could be me, but just wondering if I might have hurt your feelings when commenting about the bacon tempura. Noah, don't you know that the yogic sages say that you are an embodiment of perfection? You have worth whether you make tempura bacon or not. A mother knows! In fact, next year I'm expecting you to bring the bacon tempura to the Seder. And that will be one weird Seder!

Rog' Pile said...

As an 'occasional' Vegan, I think the idea of baking cakes with Cadbury Cream Eggs is pretty cool.

I'll let you know how they taste fried on those occasional days I'm not.

Anonymous said...

great post.. uh... aside from that horribly racist and thoughtless section on the shoe. WTF noah?

noah said...

I'm not quite sure how the part about the shoe was racist. I certainly didn't mean it to be, though I was intending to mock the fact that so much attention is being paid to the designer's half-Chinese descent. I don't like the idea that the shoe designed by Barry McGee is racist until we learn that McGee is, surprise, half-Chinese.

I personally don't think the shoe is racist, though my opinion is obviously not definitive. And I do think the shoe is pretty cool-looking, and I think it's worth noting that this controversy makes them worth more than the original retail price.