4.04.2006

my apologies



Dear loyal BlogNAC readers,

I am writing to express my deepest apologies for leaving you without saying goodbye. It wasn't about you. I like you more than words can express. This was about me and my journey of self-discovery. I had to clear my head, get my life together, and prioritize.

As you can see from the above picture, my time in Las Vegas was spent gazing over the city's humbling vistas and contemplating issues of great importance. I spoke to a lovely Las Vegas native named Penny (her dress was made of gold, or at least it looked that way) about her plans to change the world. She said she'd have to know me for 24 hours before revealing details, so I can't tell you exactly what her plans were, but her passion was evident to everyone who met her. Her beliefs were so strong, in fact, that she felt the need to reveal them in a three-part text message manifesto to my friend Josh Dempsey French before meeting again. Viva la revolucion!

The wonderful thing about Vegas is that an entire world of experience is contained within the magical 2.5 miles known as "The Strip." Men of an earlier era would have had to travel the world to see what I have seen in the last week: the canals of Venice, the Eiffel Tower, the Manhattan skyline, Aladdin's lamp, King Arthur's court. I feel as though I gained a lifetime of wisdom, and so I return to you refreshed and recommitted to the BlogNAC mission. Like Penny, I am not comfortable sharing this mission before getting to know you better, but rest assured that you are all a part of it. Every ideologue needs his followers.

My turning point came on my final night in Las Vegas, when a few fellow travelers and I decided to challenge eachother to greatness. Who, we asked, could procure a new pair of socks the fastest? This was at about 3am, so there were no socks readily available. Undeterred, we began in earnest, with most competitors frantically making calls. I, on the other hand, chose to dip into Las Vegas's vast human resources and asked a man (to be fair, he was more than a man, he was a demi-god, a bouncer) what he would do in my situation. He pointed me towards a 24-hour CVS and off I went. Later I was reminded that leaving the bar was forbidden by the competition rules, but no matter. I had socks! Like Raskolnikov, I was above the law, and man's rules no longer applied to me.

I am back.


noah


3 comments:

noah said...

You'll notice that the cigarette is not lit. Also, I am fully recommitted to nonsmoking again.

Anonymous said...

that story is crazy. your hair is also crazy. will you be a smoker on all your vacations though please? i can't handle everyone quitting.

noah said...

My hair sure is crazy. But, to be fair, the first picture was taken outside on a windy 55th floor balcony and the second was taken after a 3:30am drunk CVS run, so neither are completely representative of its true craziness.