10.20.2005

“I don’t care if you think I’m racist. I just want you to think I’m thin.”

More Sarah Silverman (in the New Yorker, because they totally get off on using slurs just like the rest of us):
Ten years ago, when Silverman had recently moved to Los Angeles, she decided to try something conceptual in her standup routine. She took a pair of khaki pants, dabbed a tiny bit of red paint in the crotch, and wore them to a gig at a club called Largo. After telling jokes for five minutes, she started roaming around the stage, admonishing herself aloud for not using it to better advantage. She did a somersault, and heard a slight, mortified intake of breath. “I just thought it would be an experiment, interesting because the audience would think it was funny and also be dying for me,” Silverman says. “Then I went back and did five more minutes of jokes, to see how it changed the room, how it was this elephant in the room.” At the end of the set, she allowed herself to notice the stain, and said, wincing, “Did you guys—you, you must think that I have my period and you’re probably dying for me. Of course you did. Why wouldn’t you? No.” She paused and said, as if to reassure, “I had anal sex for the first time tonight.”
TMF,TML has a problem with the profile:
[I]t (along with every other piece we've seen about her) fails to answer the question we're always confronted with: Is there any profession save standup comedy in which Silverman would be considered hot? Or even above average?
The answer, obviously, is yes. If Sarah Silverman worked in the cubicle down the hall from you, you would send her flirty emails all day. If Sarah Silverman worked at the DMV, you would make a point of drawing her attention to where you wrote your phone number on the form. Maybe even ask her for hers. If Sarah Silverman were your 7th grade math teacher your puberty would be fueled entirely by thoughts of her. The only profession in which Sarah Silverman could possibly not be considered hot is movie and television star. And she's barely one of those, if at all. And even then I think she's pretty hot. Because she's funny and because she looks like this:

No comments: