2.07.2006

When Enough Isn't Enough: The Extended Breastfeeding Movement


(Pictured above: Bethany (9) and Elizah (8) Robinson poised to feed)

Veronika Robinson is not like most mothers. She breastfeeds her eight-year old, Elizah, and her nine-tear old daughter, Bethany, asked for a special breast feeding for her ninth birthday, despite being off the juice since she was five. The Penrith, Australia mother has become somewhat of a celebrity since she appeared on the Channel Four program Extraordinary Breastfeeding detailing the practice of extended breastfeeding. Here is the News and Star article entitled Why I Still Breastfeed my Eight-Year Old for additional background.

Below are additional tales of extended breastfeeders:

Gloria Finkel in response to a concerned mother's comments on a La Leche League message board- My son Jacob nursed until shortly before his fifth birthday. Towards the end it was only once a day (at night before he went to sleep), but even so, it was important to him, and I found it an invaluable tool for making mothering easier.

Blognac Comments: I remember when I was five, but I don't seem to remember any bedtime breastfeeding. If you are old enough to form complete sentences and ask you mother to tuck you into bed and read you a bedtime story, you probably should not be asking for her breast as well.

Karen Koonce from her article entitled Why I Nurse My Toddler- "I love the smile he gets on his face when I ask if he wants 'nursies.' He gets so excited! He almost jumps up and down for joy and makes excited movements with his hands and happy sounds with his mouth."

Blognac Comments: "Happy sounds with his mouth"??? I don't know what that means, but I probably wouldn't let him near my breast if he was making such "happy" sounds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha. i agree with the "if you can ask to be breastfed, you're too old to be breastfed" sentiment. ew.

C said...

People can be so ignorant on this subject.

A newborn asks for the breast. A six month old asks for the breast. A two year old asks for it. Our children were never intended to have cow's milk! We have the milk they need to help them through their earliest growing years, and when they are most vulnerable to illness.

I wish people would stop thinking, "Why is that woman nursing a preschooler?" and realize the more important question is, "Why does that ick me out?"

It's what we were meant to do. What has so mishapen your view of the natural to cause you to question it? The answer puts a blinding light on our society.

Spend some time this week and educate yourself on breastfeeding - not just in the US, but all over the world. Seriously. You will discover that our "norm" is all screwed up.