6.20.2005

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is a surrealist text loosely based on the life, suffering and reincarnation of Anne Frank

All the books I have read in this series (Let it Be by Colin Meloy, Forever Changes by Andrew Hultkrans, Armed Forces by Franklin Bruno, and Abba Gold by Elisabeth Vincentelli) have been great, but I'm still incredibly nervous about the upcoming In the Aeroplane Over the Sea edition by Kim Cooper. I don't know anything about Ms. Cooper besides what the 33 1/3 website tells me, but I'm just not sure I trust her with my favorite album of all time. I've watched with a mix of satisfaction, surprise, and more than a little selfish dismay as NMH's masterpiece has risen in popularity in the last few years. I don't know why it's gained such a following recently -- or, rather,I don't know why it took so long for the album to gain the recognition it deserves. But sometimes it makes me mad. I think of the album as mine, and I am not sure I trust all these newcomers to care about it as much as I do.

In high school there was this girl who I thought was really cute, and I really believed that I was the only one who truly understood how amazing she was. Then one day all the other guys seemed to catch on. For some reason, liking her didn't feel quite as good any more. Maybe it was because some forward for the hockey team got her pregnant and she didn't carry the baby weight very well at all. And maybe this girl didn't go to my high school and this was all just a movie. But what I'm saying is that I wish I was the only one who had ever heard In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. So fuck off.

Wow. This post didn't really end up where I expected it to. But since I have probably aliented all my readers, you can go check out the 33 1/3 blog, they won't swear at you, they're too busy shitting all over the thing in the world that you hold most dear and then laughing about it.

No comments: