6.30.2005

reader letters

This will be a weekly-or-so feature in which Colin and/or I respond to reader questions posted in the comments.

Adam L. from Los Angeles, CA/London, UK asks: "Blogging is dead, and you're not even as funny or smart as me. In fact, you're an untalented idiot who fills me with rage. So why the fuck do you do this?"

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Adam! I agree with you about blogging being dead, at least in its initial form. But there are those of us who don't look at blogging as a way to share ideas or create debate or even to impose our bias on others -- we look at blogging as a way to get rich. The ads you see on the left and right of your screen are what pays for these Chanel glasses that I leave lying around every room of my house, ensuring that my sensitive eye-parts will never be exposed to the harsh glare of the TV or laptop screen.

But it's not just about the money, Adam L. There are things I come across in my daily life that move me and inspire me. For example, some time ago I was shown a particularly interesting piece about media and culture that I wanted to share with those close to me, but there was no efficient way to communicate small pieces of written information in digital form! And then it hit me -- an online weblog! So, to commemorate that Eureka! moment, I post the piece that brought us all together in this bustling e-marketplace of ideas:

NEW YORK—Due to the falling out between Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton, producers of Fox’s The Simple Life are continuing their search for the perfect spoiled, no-talent socialite cunt to step in for Richie. “It shouldn’t be too hard to find another vapid, muddied cum-dumpster perpetually drunk on the jizz of trust-fund himbos,” producer Jonathan Murray said. “Any million-dollar Bambi with a vast inheritance and no ambition will do, though gutter-sluts with coke-fueled pasts will be given special consideration.” Murray added that "it doesn’t matter if her pussy rattles when the wind blows—we can fix that in post.”


Thanks for writing, Adam L., and don't be a stranger!


[above media and cultural commentary courtesy of The Onion, tucked away in the archives somewhere]

No comments: