6.27.2005

marimba!


After last night's Hollywood Bowl show I would say that David Byrne is like Jesus, but he was wearing a pink suit (with no tie) and bowling shoes which makes him different than Jesus.

The show had many absurdly good moments (Psycho Killer), but Byrne's final song was probably the greatest thing I've ever seen -- a cover of "Crazy in Love" (he even did the "uh oh uh oh oh oh" parts) backed by an extremely talented androgynous stripper marching band (members of which were having a softcore orgy at Byrne's feet) and the Tosca String Quartet (plus a lot of other people, including a drummer who was using what looked like mini cricket bats).

The lamest part of the show was when it ended and I dropped my car keys in the bushes and had to mount an extensive search, though an usher was kind enough to lend me his mini-flashlight.

No comments: